General Ledger Accountant
Full-Time at W.L. Gore & Associates Inc, Flagstaff, AZ
posted on August 15, 2012
Gore is a technology-driven global company built on entrepreneurial innovation, integrity, and teamwork. Through our product leadership, we've been changing lives and changing industries, including medical devices, fabrics, electronics, and manufacturing, for more than 50 years. What can you change by joining Gore? Visit gore.com/change-life to find out.
Gore Medical Products has provided creative therapeutic solutions to complex medical problems for 35 years, saving and improving the quality of lives worldwide. As a leading manufacturer of vascular grafts, endovascular and interventional devices, surgical meshes for hernia repair, and sutures, we are looking for an experienced, hands-on, detail-oriented general ledger Accountant to join our team in Flagstaff, AZ.
Just 150 miles north of Phoenix and 80 miles south of the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff is an ideal place to join Gore and change. Surrounded by pine forests and mountains, Flagstaff offers natural beauty, small-town charm, a vibrant educational community, and a diverse culture. Outdoor enthusiasts enjoy all four seasons here, with 300 days of sunshine and a variety of recreational activities. A major employer in Arizona's growing bioscience sector, Gore has led Flagstaff's growth in medical-device jobs since 2002.
If you are searching for a company where you can make a difference, we're looking for you. In this role, you will work with a small team responsible for general ledger accounting for the Medical Products Division, including general ledger, financial reporting, inventory, and fixed assets.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be passionate about providing general accounting support for a business that manufactures state-of-the-art implantable medical devices
- Be energized by working for a world-class manufacturer and collaborating on cross-functional teams
- Recognize the importance of building and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships
- Partnering with a small team for the general accounting function for the division
- Participating in continuous improvement of processes (e.g., troubleshooting root causes and implementing corrective actions and process improvements)
- Working with cross-functional associates to enhance controls, develop useful reports, and improve related processes
- Preparing balance-sheet account reconciliations and a portion of the monthly commentary in a complex, high-volume environment that includes in-transit and multiple plant locations
- Assuring accuracy and compliance with established accounting principles and procedures
- Assisting in audit-related activities
- Executing intercompany, fixed-asset and manufacturing accounting in a high-volume environment
- Performing general accounting duties, including preparing journal entries and account reconciliations
- Evaluating subsidiary journals, correcting data, and performing all tasks associated with the general ledger
- Generating ad hoc reports for operational and divisional associates
- Troubleshooting and identifying errors that require corrective action
- Applying a general understanding of the flow of transactions from various subsystems and work orders to the general ledger
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or a business-related discipline
- At least 10 years of progressive work experience in accounting
- Working knowledge of accounting concepts (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles [GAAP] and/or International Financial Reporting Standards [IFRS])
- Proficiency using computer tools such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
- Ability to work successfully in a multidisciplinary team environment, providing leadership and gaining consensus when appropriate
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, listening)
- Flexibility to manage changing priorities
- Strong organizational and follow-through skills
- Ability to travel 20%
Desirable Job Qualifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification
- Experience in a multi-site manufacturing organization using an ERP system
Gore is committed to a drug-free workplace. All employment is contingent upon successful completion of drug and background screening.
Keywords: Gore, job, Flagstaff, AZ, Arizona, accounting, accountant, accounts, financial, business, manufacturing, multisite, multi, site, in-transit, in, transit, general ledger, processes, principles, procedures, reports, reporting, inventory, fixed, assets, transactions, work orders, management, managing, controls, reconcile, reconciling, reconciliations, balances, sheets, journals, entries, subsidiary, data, ad hoc, troubleshooting, root, causes, corrective, correcting, actions, improvements, monthly, commentary, audits, compliance, complying, ERP, GAAP, IFRS, CPA, CMA, Microsoft, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, implantable, medical, devices
Job Number: 122633
Job Type: Experienced Professional
Job Function: Finance/Accounting
Primary Location: North America -United States -Arizona -Flagstaff
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Shift: Day (1st shift)