Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Physics and Astronomy
posted on July 25, 2012
• This is a grant funded position with funding identified for one year. Not subject to layoff or recall status.
• The job duties include:
• Analyzes large-format astronomical images.
• Performs scientific programming in support of astronomical data analysis.
• May perform new telescope observations.
• Analyzes data and writes research progress reports including summarizing test results of participating investigators and assists in the preparation and writing of papers for publication; assists in writing reports on one or more aspects for large
• Assists in computer data systems including establishing coding formats for future scientific research data collection.
• Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND two years related research experience; OR,
• Six years research experience appropriate to the area of assignment; OR,
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
• Master's degree in astronomy/physics or related field.
• Experience with astronomical data and scientific programming.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of the science of the solar system.
• Knowledge of modern research methods, data collection and analysis and skill in their application.
• Ability to effectively communicate.
• Skill in analyzing and evaluating data.
• Skill in report writing.
• The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$35,418 - $36,000 depending on qualification and experience.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
August 7, 2012 at midnight.