Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Campus Health Services
posted on July 10, 2012
• Participates as a member of the health care team in providing primary care services to college students in an ambulatory setting. While working in concert with other health professionals, the Nurse, Sr. also provides direct nursing care which involves autonomous, independent decision-making and judgments, utilizing critical thinking. Provides consultation and guidance to LPNs and MA's.
• Administers allergy desensitization injections under the protocols of CHS and patient's allergy medical provider.
• Triages patients presenting for care either in person or by phone; assesses urgency of medical or mental health care needs and schedules same day/urgent care appointments as appropriate, using computerized schedules.
• Promotes optimal clinic flow and coordination/continuity of care by monitoring patient caseload and redistributing as needed, communicating with triage nurse/patient services appropriately.
• Assists in implementing the measles pre-matriculation requirement by administering MMR vaccines with informed consent, explaining requirement parameters to students including waivers as appropriate, reviewing students' immunization records and giving computer clearance to students in compliance with requirement.
• Prepares patients for health care visits by documenting patient's chief complaint, assessing vital signs per policy and providing appropriate supplies and patient drapes for exam.
• Assists physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants to meet patients' health care needs by assisting with exams and procedures including minor surgery, administering medication and treatments per CHS physician, PA, or NP order, fitting orthopedic appliances, and performing EKGs.
• Performs Nurse Protocol Visits according to the policy and procedure which contains pre-approved standing orders for evaluation and treatment of: pink eye, sore throat/strep throat, influenza and simple UTIs (in Nursing Policies and Procedures).
• Makes nursing assessments as to the condition of patients and anticipates potential problems. Documents nursing assessments and care given completely and accurately.
• Provides appropriate health assessment and education to patients in the prevention and management of illness, as well as health promotion. Makes referral to outside resources as needed.
• Cares for observation bed patients, documenting vital signs as needed, medications and other treatments, and condition of patient as appropriate.
• Performs nursing visits such as blood pressure screening and monitoring, administration of immunizations and tuberculin testing, pre-physicals, HIV testing, oral contraceptive refills and Depo-Provera injections per CHS protocols.
• Provides health care advice by phone to NAU students or other eligible patients as appropriate, referring calls outside the nurse's scope to another health care provider (NP, PA or MD). May report normal lab/x-ray results to patient upon request.
• Stocks and maintains adequate supplies in all patient care areas.
• Follows CHS Infection Control policies; autoclaves and mixes disinfectant solutions as needed.
• Follows CHS OHSA/Exposure Control Plan policies to promote optimal staff and patient safety.
• Develops and participates in continuing education, CHS committees and outreach as schedule allows.
• Develops and participates in continuing quality improvement activities.
• Assists in the orientation of nursing staff at the request of the nursing coordinator.
• Coordinates a specialty assignment such as triage, allergy clinic, inventory, Pap follow-up, or prescription follow-up.
• Updates written procedures, protocols, and policies at the request of the nursing coordinator.
• Attends staff meetings, shares information and participates in problem-solving and decision-making.
• Utilizes electronic health record to access appointment schedule, including scheduling of appointments, when necessary; documenting all patient contact, including health care visits, phone calls, and immunization administration; and, creating specific reports for the purpose of monitoring patient care outcomes, visit data as well as quality improvement issues. Utilizes People-Soft function to clear measles holds for students.
• Currently licensed as a registered nurse in Arizona (BSN or ADN).
• One year of professional nursing experience.
• Experience in ambulatory or college health nursing.
• Experience in triaging patients.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of nursing theory, practice and statutory regulations.
• Skills include, but are not limited to, IV therapy, injections, EKGs, wound care, and nursing assessment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$50,000 - $53,000.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
July 27, 2012 at midnight.