Financial Aid Specialist - Part Time
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Financial Aid
posted on July 10, 2012
• This position is only available to current NAU employees.
• Northern Arizona University is seeking a Financial Aid Specialist who is committed to the Enrollment Management and Student Affairs values of student service, integrity, valuing human difference, engagement, sustainability, responsibility and excellence.
• This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the mission of the organization. It is expected that the employee demonstrates behavior consistent with the Financial Aid Office core values (Service, Empowerment, Professionalism, and Honest and Respectful Communication) and supports the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs strategic plan.
• May involve heavy workloads during peak operations in the office, requiring work beyond normal hours; non-standard work hours may also be required.
• Verifies accuracy of documents and consistency of data, and student information; performs data analysis to identify discrepancies in data and determines action for resolution.
• Assists program coordinator(s) with specific financial aid program related tasks.
• Processes applications and documents according to federal guidelines or regulations; denies aid if ineligible; performs needs analysis calculations according to guidelines and determines eligibility and appropriate awards, adjustments, changes and/or corrections.
• Assists with tracking and logging in documents as they are received to the office.
• Assist in reconciliation of state, institutional and private funds that are awarded to students.
• Answers questions, inquiries and requests of students, parents and staff, regarding financial aid eligibility and awards.
• Responsible for data entry which may include changes, corrections and/or new awards into Peoplesoft.
• Responsible for working multiple reports on a weekly basis. Develops and maintains policy and procedures as they pertain to job duties on an annual basis.
• Develop and foster a collaborative work environment.
• Assist with new student orientation, Discover NAU events, and other recruiting events.
• Prepares bi-monthly status reports.
• May require working and travel nights and weekends.
• Required to adhere to cash handling policy.
• Will provide customer service in the form of walk-in's, phone calls, emails and in person interactions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Associate's degree AND one year experience working in financial aid or higher education processing environment, OR;
• Three years of directly related experience; OR,
• An equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
• Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team environment.
• Data entry experience.
• Experience working in a higher education setting.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Strong attention to detail.
• Exceptional organizational skills.
• Knowledge of government rules, regulations, guidelines, and procedures related to financial aid programs.
• Skill in entering data accurately.
• Skill in making simple calculations.
• Ability to effectively communicate.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$12,575 - $13,250 per year.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
July 16, 2012 at midnight.