Events Coordinator, Senior
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Alumni Relations
posted on July 19, 2012
• The Events Coordinator, Senior position is located on NAU¿s Mountain Campus in Flagstaff and reports directly to the Associate Director of Alumni Relations. Responsibilities will be primarily related to alumni/community outreach events and capital campaign efforts on behalf of University Advancement and the NAU Foundation.
• This position requires travel, and evening and weekend work as necessary; valid driver¿s license required.
• Only complete applications including the NAU application, a cover letter outlining interest in the position and how past experience matches with job requirements and a resume with at least 3 professional references will be considered.
• Consults with peers to determine event production needs; advises on various aspects of design, development and use of facilities; develops goals, objectives and timetable for production of events. Ensures business correspondence and follow-up procedures are completed. Maintains and updates event and alumni relations files for departmental records.
• Negotiates with vendors in event related costs and requirements ensuring deadlines are met with adherence to budget.
• Ensures adequate staffing for events and schedules set-up, technical, stage and other crews accordingly; supervises crews during events.
• Serves as a key coordinator at events to facilitate operations and responds to emergencies or problems; ensures all aspects of events are implemented and controlled according to plans.
• Coordinates events and/or requested services including reserving event space, determining catering needs, preparing printed materials, tracking various expenditures and revenues, collecting fees and maintaining any necessary records.
• Provides assistance and information to alumni, donors, friends, faculty, staff, students and outside organizations regarding campus events; maintains contact with patrons or clients via email, telephone, written correspondence, and in person.
• Maintains direct contact with personnel from the various outside organizations and university departments associated with special events including the NAU Alumni Association, NAU Foundation, University Advancement, and President¿s Office.
• Compiles material for event program; maintains mailing lists for invitation distribution or other pertinent information.
• Represents the university in a professional manner as a point person on matters relating to events and in university and community meetings.
• Maintains inventory of department equipment and materials.
• Develops new ideas in regard to event appropriateness and appeal according to audience
• Assists in duties as assigned in the Office of Alumni Relations.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Communication, Marketing, Business Administration, Public Relations or related field AND three years facility/service administration and coordination experience OR three years of event coordination experience.
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and use of design software to create printed materials such as event invitations, programs and posters, etc.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of methods and techniques used in production of event related projects.
• Experience in high-level university events production.
• Skill in prioritizing assigned work and ability manage simultaneous projects.
• Effective writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated team player with ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
• Working knowledge of computer systems and software, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Access.
• Ability to work as part of a fast-paced team with willingness to work occasional nights and weekends.
• Skill in customer service and/or public relations and handling complaints and managing conflicts.
• Lifting and physical demands are routine.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$42,000 - $45,000 depending on qualifications.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
August 16, 2012 at midnight.