Employee Pay Services Supervisor
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Human Resources
posted on July 11, 2012
• May involve heavy workloads during peak operations in the office, requiring work beyond normal hours: non-standard work hours may also be required.
• The Employee Pay Services Supervisor will lead a team of Employee Pay Services Specialists in the effort to provide technical services to ensure the entry of data, either manually or through automated processes, is done accurately and efficiently according to applicable laws and policies and according to NAU HR customer service standards. The Employee Pay Services Supervisor will assist Employee Pay Services Specialists in problem solving related to automated processes, which include, among others the ePAR and HireXpress processing. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Analyzing problems, researching alternatives and making recommendations based upon thorough understanding of the issues and implications of each possible alternative.
• Supervise Employee Pay Services service team.
• Manage the day-to-day PeopleSoft entry to ensure all entry is completed in a timely manner, according to the payroll schedule.
• Provide assistance to Employee Pay Services Specialists with solving problems related to PeopleSoft entry. For example, assist Employee Pay Services Specialists with calculations, investigate PeopleSoft Production issues (on-line time failures, for example) and work as needed with HRIS and other HR teams.
• Manage e-PAR approval process.
• Work with team (including student workers) to ensure that all necessary approvals and audit are completed by the close of payroll.
• Review (and run when necessary) all error reports. Correct errors (or delegate to others) before close of payroll.
• Lead communication with the Employee Pay Services team on closing Monday/Tuesday (and other times as appropriate) to ensure a smooth payroll closing.
• Analyzing and resolving technical problems, especially those related to ePAR and HireXpress processing and routing.
• Lead projects related to process or service improvements in Employee Pay Services services.
• Maintain familiarity with data entry/approval processes in PeopleSoft in order to be an expert resource on issues related to providing advice and direction for business process development and review.
• Ensures appropriate testing is completed in PeopleSoft during updates and fixes to the system.
• Identification, development, and implementation of process improvements for all Employee Pay Services functions.
• Documents processes as necessary to ensure consistency.
• Advises, interprets and provides direction to management and staff on university rules and procedures and Federal, state and local laws and regulations involving payroll deductions to ensure ongoing compliance.
• Acts as liaison to staff, faculty, administrators and students by answering questions, providing alternatives, and facilitating decision-making.
• Six years of progressively responsible human resources/payroll experience; OR,
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
• 3 years of experience supervising professional staff.
• Previous project management experience.
• Familiarity with PeopleSoft.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of principles, practices and standards of human resource administration, especially as they relate to pay processing.
• Knowledge of the methods and procedures used in collecting analyzing, interpreting and reporting data.
• Knowledge of state and federal regulations in general compensation and pay processing.
• Knowledge of accounting practices and procedure.
• Knowledge of payroll record keeping requirements.
• Knowledge of and skill in using Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel.
• Skill in performing detailed mathematical computations.
• Skill in evaluating and analyzing technical payroll activities.
• Skill in problem analysis and resolution in order to meet critical deadlines.
• Ability to effectively communicate with others.
• Ability to effectively supervise employees in a changing environment.
• Ability to prioritize multiple time-sensitive tasks, delegating as appropriate, to meet critical deadlines.
• The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$43,000 - $46,000.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
July 24, 2012 at midnight.