Coordinator Academic Advising
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Extended Campuses
posted on June 29, 2012
******• This position is available to NAU Employees Only*********
• Position located on the Flagstaff Mountain Campus in Flagstaff, AZ.
• This position reports to the Associate Director for Student Services.
• This position requires the ability, with or without accommodation, to meet Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requirements as occasional travel is required.
• Weekend and evening hours may occasionally be required.
• A letter of interest, resume and three professional references must be included with the online application. Provide references who will speak to the candidate's ability to accomplish assigned work accurately, creatively, and on deadline; to possess initiative, sound judgment and self-confidence; and to work collaboratively, effectively, and harmoniously with other adults in an educational setting.
The Coordinator for Academic Advising will oversee the work of a cross functional team in the Extended Campuses Student Service Center located on the Mountain Campus in Flagstaff, AZ. This position will directly supervise regular staff, part-time, and graduate assistant advisors as well as actively engage in Extended Campuses and University initiatives related to student service. As technology plays an important role in communicating with students, faculty, and staff at a distance, the Coordinator for Academic Advising exhibits comfort with technology and the ability to use it to communicate effectively and achieve objectives.
• Supervises a cross functional advising team which serves NAU's statewide student population at more than 30 campuses across Arizona and its online population.
• Hires and trains staff to implement program objectives; evaluates and supervises their activities.
• Advising Operations:
• Ensures advisor coverage during regular business hours and plans for peak volume periods.
• Implements program missions, goals, and objectives; manages available resources designated for program operation.
• Collaborates with colleagues and department leadership to establish infrastructure and systems that support advising loads.
• Collaborates with academic units and statewide staff to organize and share out information and coordinate training related to advising initiatives for Extended Campuses.
• Collaborates with academic units, curriculum support staff, and others to collect program information and ensure its accuracy in web and other formats.
• Manages portions of the advising academic year calendar to proactively address tasks associated with specific student and academic year events, such as early and open enrollment, term deadlines, catalog release, and others.
• Maintains program usage statistics, analyzes data, and prepares reports. Makes recommendations based on data evaluation.
• Develops and prepares advising materials.
• Develops procedures to ensure activities of program are consistent with legal requirements and professional standards.
• Works toward resolving the most complex student issues, in some cases those escalated by direct reports or others.
• Acts as liaison with the community, students, faculty, and staff in facilitating process development improvements; provides timely communication to stakeholders as appropriate to advance the EC mission.
• Student Outreach:
• Provides input to varied university publications/brochures.
• Serves as liaison to staff in providing information necessary for effective recruitment and student service.
• Works collaboratively with the recruitment/retention team on student initiatives including advisor representation at recruitment events (both statewide and virtual).
• Department/University Representation:
• Develops and prepares presentations and reports of professional standard for internal and external constituents.
• Represents unit on various university committees to initiate change and to resolve issues related to academic services and curriculum requirements.
• Academic Advising:
• Advises students. Works with academic departments to resolve advising issues.
• Evaluates transcripts from other academic institutions for equivalencies and application to degree program.
• Approves and certifies students' programs of study for fulfillment of graduation requirements; approves and verifies proposed changes to programs and assists students in their completion; determines if all requirements such as general education, major, grade point average and total units have been met.
• Assists students with admission and registration.
• Follows student progress towards graduation and assists with ongoing advising, course selection, and graduation papers.
• Maintains student files and records; documents all pertinent student information; updates computerized information system regarding changes to student status.
• Bachelor's degree in field related to area of assignment and 5 years of experience in advisement, student services or related profession, which includes one year of coordinating the work of others; OR
• Master's degree in field related to area of assignment and 3 years of experience in advising, student services or related profession, which includes one year of coordinating the work of others; OR
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
• Strong time management skills with the ability to consistently display the appropriate level of urgency.
• Ability to effectively communicate across a diverse community including students, faculty, and staff.
• Ability to translate complex procedures into understandable steps and directions for students.
• Excellent leadership skills.
• Ability to work with and adapt to changing technologies.
• Knowledge of advising practices and principles.
• Knowledge of university curriculum requirements.
• The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
• The ability to develop and enforce team work practices to ensure consistency and efficiency.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr .
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each fiscal year according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service, which may be found on the Internet at: https://azregents.asu.edu/rrc/Policy&/….
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, and you choose the ASRS retirement option, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 27 weeks (6 months) after your start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days after start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
July 12, 2012 at midnight.