Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Purchasing
posted on September 27, 2012
Purchases materials, equipment, supplies and services of a specialized or complex nature in accordance with prescribed purchasing regulations and procedures. Reviews and analyzes purchase requisitions, investigates and develops sources of supplies, prepares bid specifications, issues bid requests and reviews quotations. Interprets purchasing procedures to departments and vendors, as a specialist in assigned material categories which require a degree of technical knowledge. This position requires the use of initiative and independent judgment.
• Reviews , manages and/or processes all purchasing card files, applications, account changes and transactions associated with the University¿s purchasing card program.
• Monitors and examines purchasing card transactions for accuracy and compliance with policies, rules and regulations.
• Processes difficult and unique purchasing transactions according to state and federal statutes, policies established by the Arizona Board of Regents and institutional policies and procedures.
• Examines and analyzes departmental purchase requisitions for completeness and accuracy of information; contacts department or initiator to clarify or complete information; determines method to process requisition based on dollar amount, timeliness required, existing open contracts and/or competitive bidding.
• Identifies requesting departments needs and develops and refines specifications for commodities, supplies or equipment.
• Interprets and communicates purchasing procedures to departments, assists departments in initiating requisitions and orders and solves problems with orders.
• Writes and distributes complex and technical bid invitations or requests for proposals; receives and analyzes bids, quotes, proposals and awards the contract.
• Reviews and manages certificates of insurance.
• Interprets and manages contracts resulting from a competitive bidding process.
• Provides routine contract administration on existing contracts.
• Resolves purchasing problems between department and vendor.
• Bachelor's degree in related field AND one year of buying experience; OR,
• Five years of buying experience; OR,
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
Knowledge of PeopleSoft Financial System.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of purchasing practices and procedures.
• Knowledge of Purchasing Card program administration/coordination.
• Skill in preparing and analyzing complex technical specifications and bids.
• Skill in both oral and written communication.
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
• Ability to effectively communicate.
• Ability to use a computer effectively, to include knowledge of WORD and Excel.
• The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
October 10, 2012 at midnight.