Application Systems Analyst/Programmer, Sr
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Information Tech Services
posted on August 18, 2012
• This position, along with other team members, will rotate on-call duties and will be required to respond to outage events after hours.
• Northern Arizona University is seeking a self-driven, multifaceted full-time programmer to join its Enterprise Web Team in the Information Technology Services department. This position will develop solutions both individually and with team members to unique problems across multiple projects. The team focuses on Java development but some projects lend themselves to other languages including python, php, perl and .net. Experience with multiple languages is a plus. The Enterprise Web Team is a full stack team; we each handle challenges from hardware design and tuning to database schema design and PL/SQL development to highly interactive front-end design and everything in between. The university is mobile focused and we practice the mobile first design principal. Any mobile web (jQuery Mobile or similar) or iOS/Android development is a plus.
• This team also runs and actively develops the enterprise learning management system at NAU, Blackboard Learn, and the enterprise student portal, running uPortal. Between these two systems we interact and support virtually all the students, faculty, staff and departments on campus. These are enterprise class, highly available and redundant applications and their uptime and performance are key success to the university.
• The successful candidate will join a very fast paced and ever changing environment. Projects will vary from very complex, challenging and long-term problems to quick scripts/applications to solve immediate concerns. If you like problem solving complex, technical challenges, this job is for you.
• This position is located in beautiful Flagstaff, AZ complete with its fantastic summers and snowy winters and will require the successful candidate to work on location at the NAU mountain campus.
• Be the primary technical contact for installing, administering, and monitoring NAU's enterprise web team(EWT) systems including the learning management system, Blackboard Learn 9.1, and student portal running uPortal. Both of these systems are Java/Tomcat web applications.
• Participate in planning, testing and creating a load-balanced, high-availability environment.
• Take an active lead in troubleshooting and tuning EWT application servers, load balancers and Oracle databases. Help design and implement outage and performance monitoring tools, and assist in reviewing and analyzing logs and performance metrics.
• As a senior programmer, develop, test and deploy software to integrate the NAU EWT systems with the NAU PeopleSoft student information system and work to train others on the team how to maintain these programs and develop similar tools.
• Create web services to interact with outside vendors and internal applications in a real time fashion as new partnerships are formed.
• As a senior programmer, develop, test and deploy tools and services to support the EWT services used by instructors and students. Provide assistance to others on the team so there are multiple support people in place for the maintenance and support of these tools.
• Provide second tier support for the ITS Solution Center and Student Technology Center as needed and provide third tier support for E-Learning Center (ELC) and the Blackboard support center.
• Answer any general questions that arise in ITS. Serve on committees as needed.
• Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Self-motivating and able to work independently.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities.
• Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
• Able to work weekends and after-hours.
• Must be willing to participate in on-call rotation after adequate training is provided.
• Ability to work with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
• Bachelor's Degree in computer science, information systems or a technical, scientific or engineering discipline.
• 4+ years recent software development, Java preferred.
• Equivalent combination of related education and experience totaling approximately eight years.
• Experience with Java frameworks including struts, spring and/or hibernate.
• Strong background in at least one other language with multiple languages being a plus.
• Knowledge of CSS3 and HTML5.
• iOS or Android development experience.
• Experience installing and administering multi-tier, redundant, highly available hardware and software.
• Experience monitoring and tuning multi-tier, redundant, highly available Java applications.
• Experience writing and consuming real time interfaces with other applications utilizing SOAP and RESTful web services.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Java, including frameworks like Spring and Struts.
• Experience with other languages like Perl, Python, PHP or Ruby.
• Admin/monitor large multi-tier, redundant, highly available systems.
• Writing and consuming web services.
• Proven analytical and problem solving skills.
• Database and SQL experience.
• Knowledge of change management practices.
• Experience on Linux operating systems.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr .
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each fiscal year according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service, which may be found on the Internet at: https://azregents.asu.edu/rrc/Policy&/….
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, and you choose the ASRS retirement option, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 27 weeks (6 months) after your start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days after start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
September 17, 2012 at midnight.