Administrative Specialist, Sr.
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, College of Health & Human Svcs
posted on August 8, 2012
• Located in downtown Phoenix at the new Biomedical Campus at Van Buren and 7th Street.
• May require occasional evening or weekend work, and occasional travel to Flagstaff campus for meetings or training.
• Reception responsibilities, in person and telephone.
• Handles questions from prospective students, faculty regarding the program.
• Uses electronic mail effectively.
• Schedules appointments as requested.
• Assists Program Coordinator with university procedures and reporting.
• Prepares course materials accurately and in time for classes.
• Compiles and readies applicant files for review.
• Organizes, establishes and maintains record-keeping systems for department.
• Arranges meetings, facilities and services as requested.
• Operates office equipment, troubleshoots equipment failures, reports needed repairs appropriately and track results.
• Prepares outgoing mail, including express mail, distributes mail.
• Composes replies to correspondence and reports within Program quidelines.
• Takes meeting minutes as requested.
• May supervise, monitor or coordinate the activities of subordinates.
• Records and tracks account expenditures; creates work sheets on computer or in a manual system; prepares periodic reports and submits to supervisor along with recommendations or simple analyses regarding account status.
• Serves as a reference source to assist departments and employees in resolving discrepancies or procedural problems utilizing knowledge of a department function; responds to technical administrative questions ensuring necessary follow-up is performed.
• Assemble, research and summarize information from various resources; compile data or calculate simple statistics to prepare special or recurring reports for supervisor or other work unit members. Reviews information to ensure accuracy and may investigate errors to resolve discrepancies.
• Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors; assists visitor or caller by answering questions or providing information regarding office/department policies or procedures utilizing thorough knowledge of office operations; determines when referral to supervisor, appropriate staff member or other office is appropriate.
• Three years office/secretarial experience OR
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
• Minimum of Associate's degree.
• Strong written and verbal communication.
• Genuine and friendly demeanor in person and on the phone.
• Experience in an education environment.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Skill in word processing anduse of personal computers/software.
• Skill in composing letters and prepariung reports.
• Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds and of varying ages.
• Ability to effectively communicate.
• Knowledge of policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
• Knowedge of basic recordkeeping procedures.
• Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$25,013 - $27,000.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
August 21, 2012 at midnight.