Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Cap Assets: F.A.S.T.
posted on September 8, 2012
• Facility Services is a collection of coordinated departments tasked with planning, developing and maintaining the campus of Northern Arizona University. There are approximately 250 full-time, and 250 part-time and student workers employed at any given time.
• This position is the higher ranking of two Facility Services HR/Payroll positions which care for the large diverse department.
• Working conditions are often fast paced, while requiring professionalism and excellent customer service.
• Facility Services employees are considered essential personnel and report to work when the rest of the university is under a closure.
• Reviews and researches university human resources and payroll policies and procedures; determines actions to be taken and advises department heads on actions to be taken; employs and ensures due diligence in strict adherence to university policies and procedures in regards to all personnel and payroll actions.
• Provides administrative support to the Associate Vice President (AVP) for Facility Services, Directors/Managers and other division staff for hiring and payroll processes. Assists with managing department budgets and hires to ensure appropriate and available funding. Issues communications to the division and department on behalf of the AVP and Directors.
• Serves as liaison to staff, students, and university departments such as Human Resources by providing information and facilitating communication. Transitions new employees into department. Initiates department background check and fingerprint requests. Informs new employees of university policy pertaining to employment, essential personnel status, benefits, parking, and other employment details.
• Reviews department employment applications and evaluates minimum qualifications; determines equivalent qualifications if necessary. Develops matrices and scoring criteria for application evaluations. Works with department heads and supervisors to develop interview questions and matrices. Ensures fair hiring practices and conformance with all policies.
• Prepares department position announcements, advertisements and information materials for recruitment; maintains records in support of the university affirmative action program. Manages hiring process within established deadlines and timeframes to ensure departmental functions are not impaired. Maintains all department documentation related to hiring process and ensures documentation is submitted to HR
• Reviews and analyzes department position description questionnaires; writes new classification descriptions; revises existing descriptions.
• Organizes and/or prepares departmental administrative and financial reports; analyzes, summarizes and interprets personnel information; recommends action to be taken.
• Prioritizes workload to meet work unit operations.
• Evaluates and recommends operational changes to work unit to ensure effectiveness and compliance with University policies and regulations.
• Composes confidential correspondence on own initiative.
• Investigates, evaluates and resolves typical administrative/operational problems or situations impacting staff/faculty work unit.
• Plans and coordinates communications including staff training, web content and updates.
• Makes training arrangements and prepares hiring and payroll documents for division staff, as needed. Coordinates department schedules and conducts training sessions regarding payroll policies and procedures, state and federal regulations and laws.
• Answers inquiries and composes correspondence on own initiative on general and technical matters in accordance with established guidelines and forwards others items to supervisor or appropriate staff. Uses independent judgment and informs supervisor and AVP of actions and resolutions. Follows up with individuals to ensure resolution was complete and acceptable.
• Assists AVP and Directors with tracking key personnel and payroll metrics as assigned.
• Prepares documents, mail merge distributions, publications, reports and proposals.
• Provides support as payroll/leave system timekeeper for the department and ensures compliance for records of absence, time reporting and other personnel documents and functions.
• Follows established internal controls and other university procedures in accordance with applicable policies and laws. Updates supervisor on discrepancies or issues.
• Adheres to budget procedures and daily operations processes according to policies and procedures established by the University, ABOR and other governing agencies.
• As assigned, leads or assists with special projects, coordinates programmatic initiatives or other assigned duties.
• Bachelor¿s degree in Business or field pertinent to work unit AND one year of directly related administrative experience;
• Five (5) years directly related administrative experience;
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and / or education.
• Advantage and/or PeopleSoft financial experience.
• TMA or other computerized maintenance management system experience.
• Two years accounting experience.
• Four years of human resources experience for a large organization with 100 to 500 employees.
• Four years of high volume payroll experience for a large organization with 100 to 500 employees.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Demonstrated skill in spreadsheet development, web updates and advanced Word usage.
• Working knowledge of policies and procedures related to public sector personnel, budgeting, and accounting.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent phone and customer service skills.
• Demonstrated skill in use of personal computer/software, including but not limited to Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 products, Adobe Acrobat and Windows 7.
• Proven ability to work independently; be a self-starter and an energetic and enthusiastic employee.
• Ability to initiate, follow-through and complete multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrated skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships through respect, cooperation, trust and appropriate communications.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal, organizational and motivation skills.
• Demonstrated strong analytical, research and problem solving capabilities.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Sound business and financial ethics.
• Must be flexible and adjust to changing priorities and direction at short notice.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty, staff and students.
• Demonstrated ability to work with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$32,826 - $35,500 depending on experience.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
September 20, 2012 at midnight.