Administrative Assistant, Part Time
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Mathematics & Statistics
posted on June 23, 2012
• 19 hours per week position. Not benefit eligible. Not subject to layoff or recall status.
• Expected start date is August 6, 2012.
• Hours: Monday - Thursday: 4 hours per day to be worked between 2pm and 9pm (flexible) and Friday: 2pm to 5pm (fixed).
• The Lumberjack Mathematics Center (LMC) Administrative Assistant is responsible for the smooth running of the facility which opens for testing on Thursday August 23rd and for classes on Monday August 27th 2012. This position will work closely with the LMC's Academic Director and its Tutor Supervisor. Duties will include:
• Check daily to ensure that the facilities 220 computers are in operating. This involves checking e-mail on arrival at work to see if there were issues in the morning classes, touring the facility each afternoon to make sure that all machines are in operating, and immediately reporting any problems to IT support.
• Supplies and Maintenance:
• Ensure the LMC is well stocked with supplies - for example, markers and dry erasers - and to place work orders to replace light bulbs, repair damage etc. Work with custodial staff and the building manager to make sure the facility is always a safe, clean environment.
• The tutor supervisor is in charge of the hiring of the tutors who will work differing numbers of hours and with schedules that may change during the semester. The Administrative Assistant will (i) provide tutors with lab training - so they can help students log in and out of the LMC and (ii) track hours worked and to process timekeeping associated with payroll.
• Website Maintenance:
• Maintain the Lumberjack Mathematics Center's homepage at http://nau.edu/CEFNS/NatSci/Math/Lumberjack-Mathematics-Center/About/ and linked subpages as directed by the LMC's Academic Director. This page is used to give instructions to students in the lab early in the semester and is updated with appropriate announcements throughout the semester.
• Record Keeping and Reports:
• Maintain and analyze all student records regarding lab participation and lab usage using database software. This requires working with the registrar's office to obtain the necessary student data throughout the semester, daily monitoring of adds/drops and the paper sign-in logs in the lab, manually entering student times as needed, overseeing the sending of weekly reports to teachers and ensuring the reports are accurate, investigating student disputes of lab participation grades and determining credit, sending biweekly reports on tutor work times to the Tutor Supervisor, sending weekly quarter-hour attendance reports on lab usage to the LMC's Academic Director and Tutor Supervisor, end of semester data analysis regarding lab usage, and reporting/finding solutions to any problems with the software and hardware used to record student time in the lab.
• Four years of increasingly responsible office/administrative experience; OR,
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
• Experience and/or knowledge of higher education practices, policies and procedures.
• Experience with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word, etc¿).
• Experience supervising/training employees.
• Experience with maintaining websites.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of standard office policies and procedures.
• Skill in developing and maintaining good working relationships.
• Skill in English composition, grammar, spelling and punctuation.
• Skill in basic math.
• Skill in the use of personal computer/software.
• Ability to problem solve and make decisions.
• Ability to effectively communicate.
• The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$14.47 to $15.47 per hour depending on experience.
July 5, 2012 at midnight.