Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Registrar
posted on August 22, 2012
***• This position is available to NAU employees ONLY ****
• This position ensures the authenticity of documents submitted for graduation, and evaluates and processes all undergraduate applications for graduation.
• Posts and records all degrees and Latin Honors to student transcripts.
• Identifies all undergraduate graduation deficiencies; notifies students and their advisors accordingly, and in a timely manner, that their degrees cannot be awarded and posted as a result of said deficiencies.
• Serves as proactive liaison with the Transfer Credit Center (UG Admissions), Student Accounts, University Academic Advising, Extended Campuses, and faculty to research and resolve student issues regarding graduation.
• Orders all NAU diplomas (undergraduate and graduate) from our third-party vendor, The Michael Sutter Company.
• Interprets and processes Apostilles (diploma notary for international jobs/education), replacement diploma requests, changes in graduation dates (addenda) and graduation fees.
• Clarifies graduation policies and procedures to students, staff, faculty, and parents.
• Plans, prioritizes, and tracks workload to meet institutional and ABOR deadlines.
• Researches and makes decisions on complex graduation issues using policies/procedures as a guideline.
• Performs testing (PeopleSoft updates and fixes) four times a year to ensure that the PS system is processing graduation functions correctly. Reports errors to area Business Analysts for research and correction.
• Assists in the creation of the Commencement Program.
• Performs maintenance on academic plans, programs, and expected graduation dates.
• Assists with Commencement ceremonies.
• Provides key support and back-up to Program Coordinator (Graduation).
• Helps supervise student workers (this includes interviewing, hiring, and task training).
• Assists in difficult customer situations and provides necessary follow-up.
• Recommends changes to policies or procedures and maintains written procedures for assigned functions.
• Assembles and compiles a variety of data from office records for incorporation into reports.
• Routinely and independently makes and implements decisions to accomplish divisional goals and objectives while working under the guidelines of university policy.
• Works as a team member who can think quickly on his/her feet and provide excellent customer service under stressful situations.
• Helps ensure a confidential environment for student records and other confidential information.
• Performs a variety of administrative support activities for work unity such as composing replies to correspondence on own initiative, interpreting and explaining established policy and procedure in response to inquiries from a variety of sources, summarizing reports and information to facilitate review by superior and investigating, evaluating and resolving problems within scope of position.
• Recommends new or revised department policies and procedures; coordinates and implements approved changes in policies and procedures affecting assigned function; updates affected policy/procedure manuals.
• Coordinates, schedules and tracks progress of specialized work projects or departmental functions.
• Acts as primary contact for assigned function with outside organizations or other departments; responds to technical administrative questions and ensures necessary follow up.
• Participates in special projects with staff as directed.
• May supervise, monitor or coordinate the activities of subordinates
• Answers inquiries and composes correspondence on own initiative on general and technical matters in accordance with established guidelines and forwards other items to supervisor or appropriate staff.
• Screens phone calls and visitors, directing to appropriate staff or department when necessary; provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge and may interpret department policy, procedure and operations.
• Four years of office/clerical experience or any equivalent combination of experience, training, and/or education.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of graduation activity and other standard Registrar¿s practices (strongly preferred).
• Knowledge and ability in teamwork and team-building skills.
• Knowledge of general office procedures and practices.
• Knowledge and communication skills for a multicultural, diverse environment.
• Skill in following oral and written instructions.
• Skill in effective communication, both oral and written.
• Ability to work with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
• Skill in operating a variety of office machines.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
August 28, 2012 at midnight.