Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Gear-Up
posted on July 13, 2012
• This position is subject to grant funding. Incumbent is not eligible for layoff or recall status;
• Position is located in NAU North Valley Phoenix Offices (15601 N. 28th Ave., Suite 136/ Phoenix, AZ 85053);
• This position may require some travel, including willingness to drive personal vehicle.
• This is a classified staff position primarily responsible for financial data and transactions associated with established Action Plans for a US Office of Education (¿GEAR UP¿) grant. The incumbent works under the supervision of the Arizona GEAR UP Assistant Director of Fiscal Operations to perform a variety of specialized or technical clerical accounting and bookkeeping functions.
• Description of Duties:
• Prepares requisitions, invoices, complex journal entries or other transaction documents.
• Approves transaction documents with designated limits.
• Maintains logs and records and reconciles internal accounts or records with university system.
• Reviews financial system reports.
• Prepares accounting related reports, summaries and financial statements.
• May be assigned other administrative projects and responsibilities.
• Three years related accounting experience; OR,
• Associate's degree in Business Administration or related field AND one year of related experience; OR,
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping practices and principles.
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and budgeting practices.
• Skill in maintaining and reconciling accounting and financial records.
• Ability to effectively communicate.
• Ability to use independent judgment and discretion in setting daily priorities to complete tasks.
• Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
• GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded college access program started in 1999. The purpose of GEAR UP is to significantly increase the number of students from low-income communities who graduate from high school prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary edcuation. Northern Arizona University (NAU) administered both the GEAR UP State Grant and a Partnership Grant from 200-2006. In July 2006, NAU was awarded a second State Grant for the period 2006-2012. In April 2012, NAU was awarded federal funds to administer Arizona GEAR UP 2012-2019 on behalf of the State. Grantees serve an entire class of students beginning in grade seven, and follow the cohort through high school and the first year of college.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$30,826 - $32,000.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
August 9, 2012 at midnight.