Accounting Assistant, Senior
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, W A Franke College of Business
posted on July 19, 2012
• This position is offered in the Office of Support Services - Hours are slightly varied from normal business hours.
• Please include a cover letter and resume along with your online application.
• Prepares and verifies amounts and codes for various standard accounting entries, data input or other forms; encodes and obtains necessary approvals for processing.
• Maintains special logs or records and balances and reconciles internal accounts or records with university system; verifies accuracy and completeness and makes necessary adjustments.
• Reviews computer reports to identify and trace sources of error; makes necessary corrections.
• Performs payroll entry.
• Solves problems and recommends changes in procedure in accordance with previous training or experience.
• Assist departmental staff in compilation and ensuring accuracy of Purchasing Cards.
• Determines if funds are available for expenditures or requisitions and posts to proper account; monitors fund/account balances and notifies appropriate personnel when limits are reached.
• Participates in the daily operation of Support Services providing support to faculty, staff, and students. Assists with sorting mail, operating a variety of general office equipment.
• Assists with the preparation of course packets and packet sales.
• Process travel and other types of reimbursements according to university policy and regulations.
• Maintains records of cash receipts, cash deposits.
• Two years clerical accounting experience; OR,
• Associate's degree in Business Administration or related field AND
• One year of related experience; OR,
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
• Knowledge of the University's Peoplesoft Financials accounting system.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and principles.
• Skill in maintaining accounting or bookkeeping records.
• Skill in the use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office.
• Ability to effectively communicate.
• Attention to detail.
• The ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
$25,013 - $30,000 depending on experience.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
August 1, 2012 at midnight.