Academic Advisor, Senior
Full-Time at Northern Arizona University, Extended Campuses
posted on August 11, 2012
**• This Position is available to NAU employees ONLY***
• A letter of interest, resume and three professional references must be included with the online application.
• Position located on the Flagstaff Mountain Campus in Flagstaff, AZ.
• This position reports to an Advising Coordinator in the Extended Campuses Student Service Center.
• Weekend and evening hours may occasionally be required.
• Ability to meet, with or without accommodation, Arizona Administrative Code Fleet Safety Policy requirements as occasional travel is required.
• Collaborates to deploy follow-up contact through outbound calling and emails to prospective students to assess their educational needs, explain the benefits and objectives of Extended Campuses programs, provide them with educational solutions that best match their individual needs, guide their navigation through the admission processes, and facilitate communication with program staff and department advisors where necessary;
• Conducts research and evaluate processes and available tools to identify new opportunities for supporting prospective students.
• Liaison to the campus departments, chairs, advising staff, and Extended Campuses advising staff on specific academic department advising models including most current information and requirements about degree programs.
• Trains and supervises Graduate Assistant Advisors; coordinates on-going training to include skill-building and resource knowledge.
• Supports off campus outreach efforts through training, backup, and information sharing.
• Identifies transferable credit for Extended Campuses' programs.
• Explains and interprets undergraduate and graduate policy and NAU policy to students.
• Works collaboratively with people inside and outside the division in developing and improving processes to assist a variety of populations that may include students, faculty, staff, and employers.
• Develops and provides training for new and existing advisors on Extended Campuses programs including transfer issues, admission policy and procedures, degree requirements, registration procedures, etc.
• Develops and maintains positive working relationships with other university service providers and make appropriate referrals.
• Collaborates with Extended Campuses staff to improve services available to prospective NAU Extended Campuses students.
• Participates in Student Services team projects and suggests improvements and innovations as appropriate; collaborates with other team members to continually improve service to our constituents.
• Resolves complex student service questions by dealing with the intricacies inherent in the staff, student, and faculty support associated with Extended Campuses and associated customer service responsibilities.
• Draws on knowledge of and sensitivity to diversity issues to communicate effectively with students of diverse cultural backgrounds, age groups, and social backgrounds regarding support services needed.
• Conducts research and problem solving activities related to unusual or difficult admission and evaluation situations.
• Remains informed on all changes and updates to university policy (ie. Admissions and graduation requirements, liberal studies and program changes, and any other changes that effect Extended Campuses students and advising).
• Performs other duties as required.
• Master's degree in field related to area of assignment AND one year experience in teaching and/or advisement; OR
• Bachelor's degree in Education, Counseling or field related to area of assignment AND three years experience in teaching and/or advisement; OR,
• Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Strong written and oral communication skills and experience in delivering effective presentations.
• Ability to manage multiple, concurrent projects accurately, creatively and on deadline.
• Ability to work collaboratively and coordinate projects or events.
• Demonstrates thorough knowledge of higher education practices, policies, and procedures.
• Skill and experience in interviewing and advising.
• Skill and experience in public relations.
• Experience with distance degree advising.
• Experience with electronic advising procedures.
• Ability to interact collaboratively, effectively and harmoniously with faculty, students, and community members of diverse cultural backgrounds, age ranges, and experience levels.
• Familiarity with Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA).
• Experience preparing and facilitating training and development sessions.
• Possess initiative, sound judgment and self-confidence.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at www.nau.edu/hr. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
Employees offered a position on or after July 20, 2011, will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan) after 90 days of employment. If you accept an offer on or after July 20, 2011, you will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after your start date. More information is available at: http://hr.nau.edu/node/10159.
August 23, 2012 at midnight.