Risk Manager: Human Resources (0712)
Full-Time at Coconino County, Flagstaff, AZ
posted on July 26, 2012
Salary: Annually: $59,489.00 - $85,327.00
Under general supervision performs professional work of considerable difficulty overseeing public risk management and employee benefits administration; performs related work as assigned.
• Procures, administers, develops and coordinates centralized services to all County departments for loss control, safety, workers' compensation, employee and retiree benefits and a comprehensive liability insurance package
• Minimizes the total cost of risk to the County and protects the County against fortuitous loss to its assets
• Provides advice and counsel to department heads, managers and staff
• Directs and oversees the establishment of criteria for self-funding mechanisms, loss funding programs and recommends risk financing techniques
• Consults with, provides guidance and participates in negotiations, conferences and mediations with adjusting companies, legal councils, County staff, claimants and attorneys
• Administers claims adjustment programs, coordinates and supervises claims adjustment and loss prevention programs
• Reviews County contracts for insurance requirements and transference of risk
• Oversees administration of workers' compensation insurance program
• Oversees the development and implementation of safety training programs
• Participates in development of benefits strategy of employee benefits program including scheduling and coordinating enrollment periods, presentations and training concerning County benefit programs
• Assists county employees with claim issues, long-term disability and retirement
• Prepares and administers program budgets
• Supervises assigned personnel
• Represents County on committees, in public meetings and at conferences
• Conducts research and prepares a variety of statistical and administrative reports
• Assists other divisions within the Human Resources Department
• Performs related duties as assigned
The essential functions of this position include; sitting, working with and around others; vision acuity (near) for working at a computer; working with interruptions; repetitive motion (hand/wrist); vision acuity (near/far) for computer input, etc; hearing and speech for ordinary conversations; touch-finger dexterity for computer work.
Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business or Public Administration or related field and three years of risk management experience including one year of supervisory experience; OR, any combination of education, training or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
This position is exempt from overtime.
Preferences: Associate in Risk Management (ARM), Certified Risk Manager (CRM), Counselor of Insurance, and/or Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) certification preferred; experience in benefits, liability and contracts preferred; public risk management experience preferred.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong skills in the areas of leadership, communication, interpersonal relationship building, facilitation, professionalism, project management, conflict management, strategic thinking, accountability, ethics and innovation.
Note: Resumes are welcome, but completion of County application is mandatory.
The range listed is the entire salary range.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of:
- Principles, practices and techniques of public risk management
- State and federal regulations related to risk management
- Public entity insurance markets
- Principles and practices of positive supervision
- Techniques of negotiation
• Considerable knowledge of:
- Principles, practices and techniques of benefits administration
- Business English and report writing
- Use of automated data management systems
- Governmental budgetary practices
• Ability to:
- Effectively analyze factors concerning risk, liability, safety and occupational hazards
- Analyze complex personnel management problems and develop appropriate solutions
- Plan, initiate, and manage projects from beginning to end, with minimal direction
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Follow written and oral instructions
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
Benefits Coconino County offers a comprehensive employee benefits package to regular employees working 30 or more hours per week that includes: (Regular Part Time employees receive some benefits on a pro-rated bases. Temporary and Seasonal employees do not receive benefits).
- Vacation/Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- 10 Holidays Per Year
- Health Care Insurance
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Pre-Tax Deduction Plan
- Sick Leave Conversion Plan
- Wellness Program
- Credit Union membership
- Long-Term Disability
- Arizona State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- On-going Training Opportunities
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- Free bus transportation/ EcoPass bus pass
- Dependent Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Supplemental Life (for employees & dependents)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Tax-deferred investment program
- Accidental and Disability Insurance