Probation Officer II: Adult Probation
Full-Time at Coconino County, Flagstaff, AZ
posted on September 27, 2012
Salary: $43,885.00 /Year
Under general supervision performs professional duties ranging from moderate to difficult in providing correctional casework services to assigned offenders at the direction of the superior court; performs related work as assigned; establishes and maintains a positive and healthy work environment.
• Performs social investigations and evaluations of assigned offenders including interviews with relatives, members of social agencies, employers, and others, prepares required reports and assessments and makes recommendations to the Court
• Advises and supervises offenders as ordered by the Court in order to enforce compliance with court directives
• Develops and implements client-based programs and refers offenders for placement in needed services
• Appears and testifies in court
• Builds positive working relationships with offenders
• Conducts visits with offenders at the office and at various sites
• May perform searches, urinalysis collection, makes employment contacts; makes arrests, provides crisis intervention
• Enters data and provides statistical data for computer based management
• Maintains written and computerized records, runs reports, and verifies statistics with central records
• Keeps track of client payments
• Consults with attorneys and works with victims and community agencies
• May transport offenders
• May counsel offenders
• Works in partnership with the community for input, planning, and accountability (Restorative Justice)
• Trains other officers
• Makes most case decisions independently
Essential functions of this position include: driving; sitting at desk; working with and around other staff and clients; repetitive motion (hand-wrist) for writing and typing; vision-acuity (near) for reading and writing; hearing and speech (ordinary conversation) for interviews, fieldwork and communicating with staff and the public; touch (finger dexterity) for typing and writing.
Bachelor's degree with a preference being given to a major or minor in the Behavioral Sciences (Supreme Court Order 73-1 TR-ADM-PROB) and two years progressively responsible experience as a probation officer; minimum age of 21 years; OR, any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Must successfully complete a criminal history check relevant to employment. Must obtain an Arizona driver's license by date of hire and maintain it throughout employment. Final job offer will be contingent upon a satisfactory 5-year Arizona Motor Vehicle Report. Must achieve a certification of completion/proficiency of 40 hour Defensive Tactics Academy with annual 8-12 hour review. If PO chooses to be armed, must attend and pass 40 hour Firearms Academy and maintain a 20 hour annual "shoot" for recertification purposes; complete a minimum of 16 hours of on-going education within the judicial system certified by the Committee on Judicial Education and Training (COJET).
This position is non-exempt from overtime.
Note: This position may be under-filled with training provided.
Under-fill Requirements: Bachelor's Degree. Must successfully complete a criminal history check relevant to employment. Must obtain an Arizona State driver's license by date of hire and maintain it throughout employment. Must successfully complete Probation Officer Certification Academy within first year of employment. No experience required. Probation Officer I annual salary is $40,631.
Preferences: Bachelor's degree in Behavioral Sciences.
Funding: The position is state funded through an Intensive Probation Supervision Fund and is contingent upon such funding.
Additional Notes: Must successfully pass criminal history background and psychological evaluation prior to hiring. Applicants are required to submit the attached additional Probation documentation by the closing date.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Considerable knowledge of:
- The principles and practices of probation services, treatment planning, and Court reports
- Principles of human behavior
- The criminal justice system (Adult), the Juvenile Justice System (Juvenile), and community resources
- Search, transportation and restraint procedures
- Practices and techniques of individual and group counseling and casework methods
• Skill in:
- Personal interaction, counseling and interviewing
- The use of computers
• Ability to:
- Effectively analyze individuals and situations and make sound decisions
- Apply the methods and principles of probation services
- Work alone in remote areas
- Prepare and maintain complex records and reports
- Make sound casework decisions independently and in accordance with established policies and procedures
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, clients, other agencies and the public
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Benefits Coconino County offers a comprehensive employee benefits package to regular employees working 30 or more hours per week that includes: (Regular Part Time employees receive some benefits on a pro-rated bases. Temporary and Seasonal employees do not receive benefits).
- Vacation/Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- 10 Holidays Per Year
- Health Care Insurance
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Pre-Tax Deduction Plan
- Sick Leave Conversion Plan
- Wellness Program
- Credit Union membership
- Long-Term Disability
- Arizona State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- On-going Training Opportunities
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- Free bus transportation/ EcoPass bus pass
- Dependent Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Supplemental Life (for employees & dependents)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Tax-deferred investment program
- Accidental and Disability Insurance