Policy Analyst: Health District (0612)
Full-Time at Coconino County, Flagstaff, AZ
posted on June 28, 2012
Salary: $47,558.00 /Year
Note: This position is 35 hours per week. Under general supervision performs work of considerable difficulty in the review and analysis of federal and state legislation affecting County programs and departments; performs related work as required.
• Drafts policy briefs, fact sheets, and reports on federal and state legislation in assigned area
• Conducts studies, performs research, and prepares reports
• Reviews, interprets, and recommends policies
• Makes recommendations for policy and procedural changes based on research results
• Participates in working groups, councils and committees
• Ensures compliance with rules and regulations
• Tracks trends and developments in assigned functional area
• Collects and analyzes statistical data in assigned functional area
• Provides training in assigned functional area
• May assist in developing funding proposals and applications
• Performs other duties as assigned
The Essential Functions of this position include: working with and around others; co-workers, clients, agencies, etc.; working alone; vision acuity (near and far); dealing with interruptions; hearing and speech for ordinary conversation.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Public Health, Public Policy or Public Administration or related field and two years of experience in the assigned functional area; OR, any combination of education, training or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
This position is exempt from overtime.
Note: This position is grant funded through a Population Health Policy Initiative and is contingent upon such funding.
The ideal candidate will work very independently with minimal oversight, but knows when to seek guidance. This individual should be able to handle multiple projects at the same time and must be able to establish strong collaborative relationships with other community agencies. This individual will be articulate and confident in presentations and communication and must be personally very engaging and open and very approachable. This individual should be knowledgeable in public health science and practice.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to work independently and effectively plan, monitor and prioritize projects; possess excellent organizational, writing and communication skills; have strong analytical skills; be able to create and sustain positive effective working relationships with all staff employees, including Coconino County Public Health Services District management and others outside the organization.
Preferences: Strong preference for bi-lingual ability in Spanish or Navajo.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Considerable knowledge of:
- Protocols and standard practices that pertain to assigned functional areas
- Research techniques and report writing
- Business English
- State and federal laws and regulations
- Analytical techniques
- Obtaining, verifying and evaluating general and statistical information
- Computer software utilized in data collection and analysis
• Working knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of public administration
- Standard office procedures
• Ability to:
- Analyze complex problems and situations and suggest appropriate solutions
- Conduct detailed research and prepare reports and findings
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public
- Communicate verbally and in writing
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
- Work with diverse constituents
Benefits Coconino County offers a comprehensive employee benefits package to regular employees working 30 or more hours per week that includes: (Regular Part Time employees receive some benefits on a pro-rated bases. Temporary and Seasonal employees do not receive benefits).
- Vacation/Annual Leave
- Sick Leave
- 10 Holidays Per Year
- Health Care Insurance
- Dental Plan
- Vision Plan
- Group Life Insurance
- Pre-Tax Deduction Plan
- Sick Leave Conversion Plan
- Wellness Program
- Credit Union membership
- Long-Term Disability
- Arizona State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- On-going Training Opportunities
- Payroll Direct Deposit
- Free bus transportation/ EcoPass bus pass
- Dependent Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Supplemental Life (for employees & dependents)
- Flexible Spending Account
- Tax-deferred investment program
- Accidental and Disability Insurance